?

Log in

No account? Create an account
 
 
15 June 2011 @ 09:47 pm
Stop me, please, before I become my parents. Ooops. Too late.  
Someone recently asked the question, "So, have we become our parents?"

My first reaction? 'Oh, heck no. I'm still cool.'

Which is a dead giveaway for someone who is patently not cool to say.

I've noticed for some time that my behavior, what comes out of my mouth, specifically when dealing with my kiddos, sounds a lot like the advice that someone once gave me. I think I've even called my sister and said, "Oh, my gosh! I'm MOM!" I give you a list of examples, for your Wednesday evening perusal:


1. It's not that I don't trust you, it's that I don't trust everyone else.

I don't know that this was the truth coming out of my mother's mouth... it certainly shouldn't have been. But when I say it, it's about half true. I don't trust everyone else, but I also don't trust the kid that's snowing me, you know? I'm wary, is what I'm saying.

2. You'd forget your head if it wasn't attached to your shoulders!

I've engineered a cocktail of well thought out lists and reminder systems to cure that in me, presently. My children, not so much.

3. In or out. Make a decision.

Mom didn't care for me going in and out forty times a day. I have to say, I feel the same way. It goes hand in hand with number ten, don'tcha know.

4. I'm sorry, life isn't fair.

I think one of my college professors coined the phrase, "If you want fair, go to heaven or play football." 'Cause life ain't. Deal with it, kid.

5. I don't care who started it. You stop it.

The joy of having more than one child. I can't see a cure for this. Eventually, I quit blaming things on my sister. I can only hope the boys will do the same one day.

6. Go clean your room.

I think I actually remember thinking, 'When I have kids, I'm NEVER going to make them clean their room!' Heh. Pthththt. Famous last words. If I didn't make Ethan and AJ take a pass at that pit at least once a week, the health department would be at our doorstep.

7. Don't look at me in that tone of voice!

Hee. I don't really say this. I just think it's funny.

8. If it's worth doing, it's worth doing well.. I got this from both the parentals. Though Dad's was somewhat differently phrased as, "Don't do things half-assed."

9. Pretty is as pretty does. Don't be a navelgazer.

This is somewhat modified as I have little boys, but they're too concerned with looks, sometimes. Though sometimes, I have to specify using soap and shampoo when they shower. :P

10. Were you born in a barn? Shut the door! We aren't air conditioning the entire neighborhood.

I've said this. Recently. The boys are currently grounded right now for JUST THIS REASON. Because COME ON! We can't air condition the entire outdoors, now can we?

 
 
I am:: bed
I feel:: contentcontent
I hear:: Game of Thrones
 
 
 
Jandy the Gnome Whisperer: Jonathanjandjsalmon on June 16th, 2011 03:12 am (UTC)
My moment of epiphany was 'straighten out and fly right' to my then seven year old. Or the 'You're too smart to be this dumb' - totally my mom. Jay made me promise I wouldn't say 'Great for getting 98% - what happened to the other 2%?' I got that a lot at home as a kid.
O Demanding One: FNL: Coach & Tamiheyurs on June 16th, 2011 01:41 pm (UTC)

Straighten up and fly right, Buddy! WOOT! hehehehehe! xD

Yup, got that one a lot, too. And yes, I say it lots. *g*

The other one, too. He got an A- on something and I said, "What's up with the minus, dude?"

Goodness. x)


stardust_20: Castle - Kate in hotel room/smilingstardust_20 on June 16th, 2011 12:25 pm (UTC)
Yep, we become our parents. I know I certainly am, and a LOT of the things on your list are things I've said to my kids too. Including Jess's one below about not getting 100%. I bug my kids even when they DO get 100%. Actually I'im pretty proud of my 12 year old. He got exempt from all of his exams (cumulative 80% average needed to be exempt) so he's getting an extra week off school. Still, I'm giving him work to do because idle hands - you know?
deedsk_tx on June 16th, 2011 08:09 pm (UTC)
I've sooo become my parents! I've been whipping out #4 (Life is NOT Fair) for so long now- Josh will beat me to the punch and say "I know...I know....Life isn't fair and Grandpa said that to you ALL the time!"

I'm also learning that I'm becoming my Mamma in so many other ways as I get older. Matt even calls me "Kathy" from time to time when I start doing something extremely neurotic or OCD! (he-he) I do think there are times I open my mouth and my Mamma just comes rumbling out!S-C-A-R-Y!!

We'll just have to keep each other sane as we ride this crazy rollercoaster call PARENTHOOD!!

Hugs!!
Carrie Leigh: housewifecarrie_leigh on June 16th, 2011 10:33 pm (UTC)
For Ethan, I've borrowed one of YOUR mother's adages: "God did NOT drop you off on a street corner by yourself! He gave you parents for a REASON!"