But whining about sleeplessness is not what I came here to do.
I bring you:The Chocolate Cavity Maker Cake!
It's a simple, yet yummy one. Super easy to make!
* 1 (18.25 ounce) package dark chocolate cake mix
* 1 (3.9 ounce) package instant chocolate pudding mix (I used vanilla. It was what was in the pantry)
* 1 (16 ounce) container sour cream
* 3 eggs
* 1/3 cup vegetable oil
* 1/2 cup coffee flavored liqueur
* I 12 oz semisweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 10 inch Bundt pan.
2. In a large bowl, combine cake mix, pudding mix, sour cream, eggs, oil and coffee liqueur. Beat until ingredients are well blended. Fold in chocolate chips.
Batter will be thick. Spoon into prepared pan.
3. Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour, or until cake springs back when lightly tapped. Cool 10 minutes in pan, then turn out and cool completely on wire rack. I cooled it on the cake plate and the cake police didn't come and get me, so there.
This recipe claims it's so moist and yummy that it doesn't need icing or a glaze, but I am of the opinion that EVERY cake needs frosting. It's just not a cake without it. And I'm nothing if not excessive. So.
This is the part where I really get into my white trash roots. Now I KNOW I could have made a glaze with dark chocolate and heavy cream and all that yumminess, but instead, I warmed Betty Crocker Rich and Creamy frosting from a can, which they say on their website makes a terrific glaze. And the 20 seconds I spent microwaving it was significantly less than the time it would have taken to make a fancy glaze. I mean, this recipe starts with a cake mix. Let's just carry the theme throughout, shall we?
As a nod to Halloween, I decorated the edge with those addictive little devils, the mellowcreme pumpkins. I didn't take a pic of the finished product, cause I'm a spastic. And I'd had a little too much sugar yesterday; I was jittery.
So here's our Halloween pics:
Ethan was very into his part.
To a fault. But look at the scarf lyndsiefenele sent me last year! Doesn't it look perfect?
Nolan's better at taking pictures than I am, obviously. Wait,,, Is that a BROWN belt??? Draco wouldn't wear a brown belt with black trousers.
BONUS CUTE KID/HUSBAND STORY: (If you've scrolled this far down, you deserve it)
So the boys and Nolan are running around the house, Ethan and Aaron are flinging spells with their fake wands, and Nolan joins in the fun.
Ethan. (pauses) That wouldn't do anything.
Nolan. No, that's what they say to make the wand fly out of someone's hand.
Ethan. Disarm, yeah.
Nolan. What is it, then?
(At this point, they both look at me. I am icing the cake, minding my own business, but secretly I agreed with Ethan when he corrected his father. I stay silent.)
Nolan. (scoffs) Don't even pretend like you don't know. You're a freaking Harry Potter encyclopedia!
Carrie. (sniffs) It's Expelliarmus, if you must know.
Ethan. Isn't there a protection spell, too?
(they both look at me simultaneously)
Carrie. (sigh) Protego.
Nolan. What's it like to be that big of a dork?
Carrie. I dunno, you tell me, six foot three inch middle aged man, running around throwing the wrong spells at a nine and seven year old.
Ethan. Are you done? Cause....(Points wand at his dad) "Expelliarmus!"
Aaron. That was sneaky.
Ethan. I'm Draco.
I LOVE my family.