I started cutting out meats breads and sweets at the beginning of the week, and it's amazing how fast you see results. Four pounds vanish just like that when all you eat are non-meat protein, fruits and veggies. I didn't put the bacon on this salad, but it was still a meal in and of itself. If you are a blue cheese lover (and for me, the stinkier the cheese, the better!), this is a MUST MAKE - OH, MY WORD RIGHT NOW.
1 cup mayonnaise
3/4 - 1 cup buttermilk **
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 dash cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 teaspoons sugar
6 ounces crumbled blue cheese
** If you don't have buttermilk, and really, who does? You can take a cup of regular milk and add 1 3/4 tsp of cream of tartar - whisk it together and viola! Buttermilk. Lemon juice also works in lieu of cream of tartar.
1 head iceberg lettuce
8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
1/4 c chopped purple onion
1/2 c toasted pecans
1 1/2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
6 ounces crumbed blue cheese
salt and pepper
take 1/2 cup of balsamic vinegar and heat in saucepan 'til reduced by half. Then you've got a nice balsamic-y syrup to drizzle over your salad. The taste combination is amazing.
1. To make the dressing, combine mayonnaise, and buttermilk, mixing well.
2. Add remaining ingredients mixing thoroughly.Must refrigerate for 24 hours before serving for best flavor.
3. For the salad assembly, divide iceberg lettuce head into four equal sections, cutting down towards the stem.
4. Place on plates, topping liberally with the blue cheese dressing, crumbled bacon,onion, pecans, chopped tomato and crumbled blue cheese.
5. Add balsamic glaze. Sparingly.
6. Serve nice and cold, adding salt and pepper to taste.
Aaron said it looked like a salad sundae. Everyone in my family ate EVERY bite. Even the kids. They loved it. :)